Happy Mother’s Day to all you moms out there including those like me whose only children are of the four legged variety! I thought that on this day set aside to honor all the wonderful mothers in the world, I would list ten movie and television moms that I’ve come to love over the years. My own wonderful mother passed away a few years ago and in her honor, I tried to pick moms who were as loving and supportive as she was.
These are not really in any particular order, but as I tried to rank them I found myself being partial to the television moms since they seemed to remind me the most of my own mom.
Ten of My Favorite Movie and Television Moms
10. Mother York from the movie Sergeant York (1941) – Played by Margaret Wycherly
9. Emily Hardy from the series of Andy Hardy movies (1937-1958) – Played by Fay Holden
8. Kay Miniver from the movie Mrs. Miniver (1942) – Played by Greer Garson
7. Mary Blake from Bright Eyes (1934) – Played by Lois Wilson
6. Olivia Walton from The Waltons – Played by Michael Lerned
5. Carol Brady from The Brady Bunch – Played by Florence Henderson
4. Ma Bailey from the movie It's a Wonderful Life (1946) – Played by Beulah Bondi
3. Caroline Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie – Played by Karen Grassle
2. Marion Cunningham from Happy Days – Played by Marion Ross
1. June Cleaver from Leave it to Beaver – Played by Barbara Billingsley
Who are your favorite movie and television moms?